UPDATE 6:00pm 2/1/16: I just heard from SDOT that the closure will start on the 3rd.
I just received notification that Seattle DOT will be closing Sand Point Way at the 8500 block for emergency repairs. I’ve heard reports that the actual closure might be on the 8th, and some have said it will start on the 3rd. Currently they’re estimating around 3-4 weeks for the repair, which means a detour will be running for quite a while.
Here’s what the flier says that came from Seattle DOT:
- No traffic through the construction zone in the 8500 block of Sand Point Way NE; detour will be in place using NE 70th Street, 35th Avenue NE and NE 95th Street – see map on reverse side
- No access for bicycles and pedestrians through the construction zone; travel along the Burke-Gilman Trail will not be affected
- Large equipment with heavy loads operating in the roadway 5 to 7 days a week, typically for 9-12 hours per day
- Temporary relocation of utilities, potential short term service disruptions
- Significant excavation work, boring for new support piles and retaining wall construction
- For King County Metro service stop relocations and service advisories please refer to http://metro.kingcounty.gov/alerts/ (Editors note: nothing has been posted yet on the KC Metro alerts page)
Here’s a map of the affected area, courtesy of Seattle DOT:
I’ll post updates as I get them. Thanks to Phil on Nextdoor for the tip.
[…] Quick update to the closure of Sand Point Way […]